Related Category Case Study
- Business Process Solutions
Optimizing Client Success: Implementing IAAS on AWS Cloud with Well-Architected Framework
- Industry Healthcare Sector
- About Company
Medrona offers service solutions for medical billing companies, physicians, laboratories, hospital-owned and contracted ambulatory service provider networks and outpatient services.
- Business Challenges
- The customer hosted web Application, DB on windows server (MS SQL std) and Active directory with file server on cloud.
- They had Single Tier Architecture with App and DB running on the same server.
- Web Tier and Domain controller running on the same Windows server.
- Heavy Impact to Application Performance and their monitoring revealed throughput issues.
- AWS Services Used
- AWS Data Migration Service
- Active Directory
- Amazon EC2
- Solution Highlights
- The customer had been running Microsoft workloads from a single server. The solution proposed that these be hosted on multiple EC2 instances thus eliminating the persisting performance issues.
- Fresh application installation and SQL Database migration approach was followed using R-Lane migration methodology.
- All user traffic is routed via a site-to-site tunnel and NAT Gateway is used for accessing the application and Database, respectively.
- For the migration scope of the project, EC2 with Windows Server and SQL Server were launched and configured as required prior to initiating
- Setup VPN Tunnels between source and AWS and customer office and AWS.
- Promoted Windows EC2 server to Domain controller to have an AD with minimal cost and to serve as an ADC in cloud.
- Configure database migration using AWS Database Migration Service
- Setup of Amazon EC2 with Windows Server and SQL Server roles and follow up actions including:
- Hardening the OS
- Application of patches.
- Business Benefits
- Three-tier architecture helped with performance and throughput issues.
- Ease of deployment and integration.
- Utilizing the flexible options for Licensing of Windows and SQL server available in AWS,
- Savings on the Licensing cost and the Total Cost of Ownership.